WRA is Leading on Clean Energy & Climate
For 30 years, Western Resource Advocates has successfully helped states implement bold policy solutions to decarbonize the West. When energy utilities and regulators weren’t even considering environmental factors in their planning processes, WRA stepped in to make sure the environment had a voice.
In 2019, we facilitated a tremendous leap forward when lawmakers in Nevada, New Mexico, and Colorado – with WRA’s help and expertise – enacted some of the most forward-thinking laws in the nation to reduce carbon emissions.
- In New Mexico, state lawmakers enacted landmark legislation that paves the way for the retirement of the state’s last coal-fired generating station and will ensure that 50% of the state’s electricity is renewable by 2030 and 100% is carbon-free by 2045.
- In Nevada, a new law increases the state’s renewable portfolio standard to 50% by 2030 and sets a goal of 100% carbon-free electricity generation by 2050.
- In Colorado, lawmakers passed legislation that sets economy-wide goals for reducing the state’s greenhouse gas pollution 26% by 2025, 50% by 2030, and 90% by 2050.
Given the lack of progress at the federal level, it is more important than ever for states and local communities to drive the fight against climate change. Western states have the unique potential to demonstrate how effective climate policies can be achieved, scaled, and applied — in our region, across the nation, and around the world.
Progress on the Climate Fix
The world’s scientists say we must take serious action in the next decade to avoid the most devastating impacts of climate change. We can’t afford to slow down, and much work remains to be done.
- We need to make sure our lawmakers, utilities, and regulators live up to their promises.
- We must continue to demonstrate through meaningful collaboration that a healthy economy and environmental protections can go hand in hand.
- And by tracking and openly sharing the West’s progress toward a zero-carbon economy, we must encourage other states to follow suit.
Time is running out, and we need to see real results, fast. For over 30 years, Western Resource Advocates has proven time and again that we have the expertise and experience to lead what must be a collaborative effort to reduce greenhouse gas pollution across the West. We know how to get things done.