Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is seeking an enthusiastic and organized individual to join our team in Salt Lake City as a Program and Legal Assistant. This position will provide a full range of administrative and legal support to the Clean Energy Program’s Utah team, as well as managing our Salt Lake City office. The Program and Legal Assistant will report to the Utah Clean Energy Manager, with opportunities to learn and grow while working with a variety of other administrative and conservation professionals. This position has the option to work full-time at 40 hours a week, or part-time at 30 hours a week.
About Western Resource Advocates
WRA fights climate change and its impacts to sustain the environment, economy, and people of the West. We respect the different needs of diverse people and partner with them to develop a shared vision for progress—one that advances communities while protecting biodiversity.
Our team of policy experts, scientists, economists, and attorneys has a 30-year history of working where decisions are made, sweating the details, creating evidence-based solutions, and holding decisionmakers accountable. This on the ground work with policymakers and other advocates advances clean energy, protects air, land, water, and wildlife—and sustains the lives and livelihoods of the West.
The position can work in WRA’s Salt Lake City office; or a hybrid remote and in-office setting. A minimum of two days per week in the office is required, and more may be necessary depending on workload/activities.
Responsibilities and Activities
- Office management for WRA’s Salt Lake City office.
- Schedule and calendar meetings for Clean Energy Program (CEP) staff, provide reception, answer phones, and route mail and email as necessary.
- Make or assist in travel arrangements on behalf of CEP staff.
- Provide basic IT support, liaising with WRA’s remotely located IT Manager.
- Purchase office supplies, ensure offices are maintained, make minor repairs, take out trash/recycling, mail packages, coordinate contractors for maintenance or IT-related repairs, and manage rental and repair contracts.
- Prepare and reconcile monthly expense reports, processing accounts payable and reimbursement claims.
- Coordinate team building/social activities with the Utah staff.
CASE MANAGEMENT & PROGRAM SUPPORT
- Organize and maintain electronic and physical records (most records are electronic).
- Assist with preparation and editing of reports, studies, presentations, and litigation/docket files and binders.
- Thoroughly edit and prepare documents for filing with state agencies, consistent with agency rules.
- Program and project support, including subject-matter research and meeting attendance and notes.
- Case management, including tracking dockets and undocketed proceedings, maintaining case logs, legal and subject-matter research, maintaining discovery index, locating and preparing exhibits, drafting motions and pleadings, filing documents with agencies and/or courts, hearing preparation, coordinating with partners and consultants, and other paralegal support.
- Drafting correspondence and other materials.
- Other tasks as assigned, including providing occasional administrative assistance to other WRA staff in other states.
Additional Responsibilities for Full-Time Position
ADDITIONAL PROGRAM SUPPORT
- Assist program staff with additional subject-matter research.
- Assist with project management.
- Excellent editing and document formatting skills.
- Administrative office experience.
- Exceptional time management.
- Thorough and detail oriented.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage a deadline-driven docket of regulatory litigation and other programmatic work.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with computers and office equipment, including strong competency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Commitment to WRA’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion goals.
Additional Skills and Learning Opportunities
The following are skills that a candidate may bring into the role, but are not required.
- General knowledge of clean energy, climate change, and/or environmental issues is a plus.
- Paralegal or other legal background or experience, with an emphasis on administrative law is a plus.
Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some small amount of travel may be required within WRA seven-state region to attend retreats and other events.
Salary And Benefits
The salary range for a full-time position (40 hours/week) is $45,000-$55,000 annually, and for a part-time position (30 hours/week) is $33,750-$41,250 annually; salary depends on relevant experience. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes a 401(k)-retirement plan with up to 5% matching and health, dental, vision, and life & disability insurance with 100% of premiums for employee coverage paid by WRA. Annually, staff receive* three weeks paid vacation leave to start, twelve paid sick days, one paid volunteer day, one paid birthday off, 12 paid holidays, and WRA is closed for Winter Break between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day for additional paid time off (*vacation and sick leave are pro-rated for part-time employees). After one-year employees are eligible for up to twelve weeks of parental leave with the first six weeks paid, and after five years, staff are eligible for up to twelve weeks of paid sabbatical leave. Position exempt for full-time, and non-exempt for part-time.
Deadline To Apply: Open until filled, with prioirity review starting on Tuesday, March 14, 2023
Diversity and inclusion are a critical component of our business strategy, mission and vision. We welcome candidates from an array of backgrounds and experiences to join our team. Learn more about our commitment here.
Western Resource Advocates is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
Apply To Be WRA’s Program and Legal Assistant in Utah!
Thank you for your interest in the Program and Legal Assistant position with Western Resource Advocates. Complete the two forms below to apply for the position. You will need to upload the following in PDF format:
- Cover letter describing your relevant qualifications and the reason for your interest in WRA and this position; and