Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is seeking an enthusiastic and driven Staff Attorney or Senior Staff Attorney to join our Clean Energy Team in Arizona. The Clean Energy Staff Attorney or Senior Staff Attorney (the attorney) will be responsible for representing WRA in state-level administrative proceedings in Arizona, as well as state and federal litigation as necessary. The attorney will participate in complex regulatory litigation, primarily before state electric utility regulatory bodies, collaboratively with WRA’s state-focused and regional policy teams. This position will identify opportunities to advance WRA’s policy goals in various regulatory proceedings and collaborates with the broader team to secure those identified outcomes. To this end, the attorney will craft and review discovery requests, review and edit expert witness testimony, draft motions and briefs, conduct oral argument and cross-examination, represent WRA in complex negotiations, and cultivate and maintains relationship with other key stakeholders, such as utilities, clean energy trade groups, consumer advocates, independent power producers, and other conservation groups.
This position will represent WRA in a diverse array of rulemaking and litigated proceedings before various regulatory agencies, including state public utility, air quality, and regional transmission planning groups. The attorney will also assist in WRA’s legislative advocacy efforts and may occasionally be involved in state or federal litigation. The ideal candidate has a commitment to climate action and equitable clean energy policy solutions, and is capable of independently managing a docket of complex regulatory matters with minimal direct oversight. This position is an exciting opportunity to shape state-level policy to help build a just, clean, and sustainable future for the communities and economies of the Interior West.
About Western Resource Advocates
WRA fights climate change and its impacts to sustain the environment, economy, and people of the West. We respect the different needs of diverse people and partner with them to develop a shared vision for progress — one that advances communities while protecting biodiversity.
Our team of policy experts, scientists, economists, and attorneys has a 30-year history of working where decisions are made, sweating the details, creating evidence-based solutions, and holding decisionmakers accountable. This on the ground work with policymakers and other advocates advances clean energy, protects air, land, water, and wildlife — and sustains the lives and livelihoods of the West.
This position may work remotely within the greater metropolitan Phoenix area, from our office in Phoenix, or a hybrid remote and in office setting. This position requires in person meetings, events and court appearances mostly within the Phoenix area.
Responsibilities and Activities
- Represent WRA in state and regional level utility regulatory and planning proceedings, courts, legislative bodies, and other forums.
- Provide counsel and strategic advice regarding state and federal energy regulation, climate policy, and administrative law.
- Prepare discovery, pleadings, briefs, oral argument, cross-examination, and testimony for regulatory proceedings.
- Negotiate and draft complex settlement agreements.
- Identify and create opportunities to advance WRA’s conservation policy goals.
- Work collaboratively with technical program staff serving as expert witnesses.
- Work directly with the region’s electric utilities, state and municipal governments, consumer groups, the environmental community, and other stakeholders to advance policies aimed at accelerating a clean energy transition.
- Identify and manage effective coalitions of diverse partners to achieve results.
- Assist with guidance of outside experts and legal consultants.
- Provide legal and strategic advice on non-regulatory policy issues as needed.
- Work with WRA’s Communications Team to develop communication strategies to advance WRA’s objectives.
- Working with the Clean Energy Team and the Development Team, assist in grant proposal and report development.
- Monitor and track relevant state and federal policies.
- Occasional travel to meetings and events, generally within the Interior West.
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA accredited law school, and licensed to practice law in Arizona.
- Ability to work independently and with autonomy, knowing when to seek input and guidance from supervisor.
- Ability to manage a deadline-driven docket of regulatory litigation.
- Background in environmental, energy, or other types of administrative law and strong understanding of current issues in energy regulation and policy.
- Ability to independently develop and maintain relationships and successfully engage in building broad-based coalitions to advance our goals.
- Ability to work closely with technical experts to develop and execute case strategies.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Superior oral and written communication skills with the ability to influence policymakers, partners, and other stakeholders on complex subjects.
- Commitment to WRA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion goals.
Additional Senior Staff Attorney Qualifications
- At least 5 years of relevant experience, including experience with cross examination of witnesses in administrative law hearings.
In addition to the qualifications listed above, candidates interested in the senior level role should also possess at least two of the following additional qualifications:
- Experience independently managing a deadline-driven docket of complex regulatory litigation, with minimal supervision;
- Significant experience as a litigator in state public utility regulatory proceedings;
- Experience with air quality law, regional or national electric markets, or climate policy; or
- Existing relationships with key energy stakeholders or policymakers in the Interior West.
Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some small amount of travel may be required within WRA seven-state region to attend retreats and other events.
Salary And Benefits
The salary range for the Staff Attorney position is $67,000-$90,000 annually, and the Senior Staff Attorney position is $86,500-$115,000 annually; salary depends on relevant experience. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes a 401(k)-retirement plan with up to 5% matching and health, dental, vision, and life & disability insurance with 100% of premiums for employee coverage paid by WRA. Annually, staff receive three weeks paid vacation leave to start, twelve paid sick days, one paid volunteer day, one paid birthday off, 12 paid holidays, and WRA is closed for Winter Break between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day for additional paid time off. After one-year employees are eligible for up to twelve weeks of parental leave with the first six weeks paid, and after five years, staff are eligible for up to twelve weeks of paid sabbatical leave. Position is full-time exempt.
Deadline To Apply: Open until filled with priority review starting on Friday, April 7, 2023
Diversity and inclusion are a critical component of our business strategy, mission and vision. We welcome candidates from an array of backgrounds and experiences to join our team. Learn more about our commitment here.
Western Resource Advocates is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
Apply To Be WRA’s Arizona Clean Energy Staff Attorney or Senior Staff Attorney!
Thank you for your interest in the Arizona Clean Energy Staff Attorney or Senior Staff Attorney position with Western Resource Advocates. Complete the two forms below to apply for the position. You will need to upload the following in PDF format:
- Cover letter describing your relevant qualifications and the reason for your interest in WRA and this position; and