About Western Resource Advocates
Western Resource Advocates (WRA) has spent over 25 years protecting the land, air and water that Western communities rely on for a healthy, vibrant quality of life. We use law, science, and economics to craft and implement innovative solutions to the most pressing conservation issues in the region within three core program areas: Clean Energy, Healthy Rivers, and Western Lands.
WRA’s Digital Communications Coordinator is an essential part of the Communications Team reporting to the Communications Director and helping to create and implement an organizational communications plan, ensuring the plan aligns with the WRA mission and brand and that communications support the organization’s policy, program, and marketing objectives. The Digital Communications Coordinator leads the organization’s social media outreach, graphic design, and material creation. The Digital Communications Coordinator works closely with a talented group of communications, fundraising, and conservation professionals and consultants to implement the organization’s projects.
The Digital Communications Coordinator will collaborate with team members and departments to build highly effective, metrics-based, fully integrated online/offline/multi-channel communication and fundraising campaigns to grow the organization and achieve programmatic goals to advance clean energy, healthy rivers, protected western lands, and clean air and clean water.
The position can be based in one of WRA’s offices in Boulder, Carson City, Salt Lake City, Santa Fe, or remotely in any Intermountain West state with easy access to a major airport.
- Lead WRA’s Social Media Program
- Lead social media outreach, identifying, creating and implementing the appropriate content strategies to enhance WRA’s campaign effectiveness, organizational power, brand identification, and thought leadership on clean energy, healthy rivers, and western lands issues.
- Grow our social media followers so that by 2020 we achieve having 100,000 followers combined across multiple channels, including using organic and paid strategies and ensuring solid representation in all WRA target states
- Develop and maintain the visual content and social media engagement calendar for social media outreach, in coordination with a larger multi-channel outreach calendar shared with a cross-departmental team.
- Create and issue social media toolkits and coordinate a social media ambassador program with staff and volunteers to expand WRA’s social media reach and provide training for staff and ambassadors on tools and social media best practices.
- Help build a digital ladder of engagement in close coordination with the full Communications Team, identifying and implementing the appropriate outreach ”stack” to enhance campaign effectiveness and engagement.
- Lead analysis, conduct testing, derive insights, and convert data into actionable reports and outreach efforts to inform staff and board and to guide continuous improvement of social media campaign results.
- Research new developments in digital online marketing and participate in trainings to insure that WRA is using the most innovative, affordable, and appropriate strategies.
- Track social media paid outreach expenses and other assigned project expenses to ensure projects stay in budget.
- Conduct trainings and coach the WRA staff and board on best practices for social media.
- Lead Design and Visual Content Creation
- Create, and/or manage a consultant to create, and maintain WRA’s graphics and materials including infographics, social media graphics, newsletters, brochures, factsheets, background briefs, and reports.
- Manage the image/graphic acquisition and files for all of WRA staff to use.
- Maintain a consistent voice and look throughout all WRA communication designs, ensuring brand standards are followed.
- Back-up Digital Outreach Manager with Blogs, Email and Web Outreach
- Assist the Digital Outreach Manager with blog creation, editing, and posting.
- Support web content creation, posting and page design.
- Help with email content creation, posting and outreach as needed.
- Share General Communication Responsibilities
- Compile and disseminate the simple emailed internal newsletter (the “Insider”) with updates provided by staff to inform the full staff and board of WRA accomplishments and upcoming activities.
- Complement and support other communication digital and offline initiatives working with the Communications Team.
- Help track and report on traditional media coverage, producing reports as requested, and sharing information weekly for the Insider.
- Recruit and manage interns as desired to help support your individual work plan.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in digital media; understanding how to craft and execute effective online strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience.
- Excellent social media outreach experience creating engaging content using a variety of channels such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
- Excellent social media analysis and reporting experience.
- Great graphic, design and creative visual content creation skills.
- Strong copywriting and communication skills with ability to produce copy of varying tone and messaging based on target audience and medium.
- Solid time and project management, organizational and multitasking skills to deliver successful results on deadlines.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Must be self-motivated, work well independently, and also enjoy collaborating with a team.
- Proven to be flexible and adaptable to quickly shift priorities and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience using graphic design programs (such as Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign).
- Passion for environmental/conservation issues.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite.
- Preferred, but not required:
- Experience producing and editing short videos in a variety of formats.
- Experience with a CRM posting email content and managing an email database.
- Experience with WordPress or similar web software.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary based on relevant experience. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes health, dental and vision coverage, a 401(k) retirement plan, life & disability insurance, 3-weeks paid vacation leave, and for staff based in Boulder an RTD EcoPass.
How to Apply
Email the following in PDF format to Joan Clayburgh, Communications Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Digital Communications Coordinator” in the subject line:
- A compelling cover letter explaining your interest in the position and our organization;
- Samples of graphic productions and social media posts you have created; and
- Three references.
Please be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised.
Deadline to Apply: May 30, 2017
Western Resource Advocates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.